I’m Zoë Lenkiewicz, an international waste management and circular economy specialist. My work supports the development of policies, partnerships and technologies that keep resources in the loop and prevent pollution.
Sustainable waste management relies on a combination of science and creativity. Systems need to be both technologically appropriate and socially deliverable, and that’s where my skills and experience come into play.
I help businesses, governments and communities design and deliver locally suitable recycling, resource management and waste recovery initiatives.
I have delivered training on appropriate waste management to a broad range of public, private and community sector stakeholders in Indonesia, India, The Gambia, Ghana and Tanzania, and deliver interventions with communities worldwide to improve sustainable waste management with a particular focus on plastics and organics.
Working professionally in sustainable resource management since 2002, I have been an advisor to government agencies, recycling businesses and the global smart materials industry in the UK and internationally.
- International government trainer on the Clean Oceans through Clean Communities programme led by the International Solid Waste Association (2020)
- A Woman of Influence in The Planner (2018)
- Among the “100 Women Creating a Better Africa” (2019)
- Awarded an ISWA publication prize for the WasteAid Toolkit (2018)
- Chatham House Common Futures speaker (2020)
- Judge in the Africa Green Grants Awards (2020)
- Alumnus of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh’s Commonwealth Leaders Programme (2019)
Around half the world’s population lives without proper waste management. Poorly managed waste can threaten people’s health as well as the environment, but if managed correctly wasted materials can provide for sustainable livelihoods. Waste has been recognised by the UN as a cross-cutting mega issue and is an integral part of the new Sustainable Development Goals.
Keen to use my waste management skills to aid global sustainable development, I was a founding member of international NGO WasteAid, a growing organisation where I am now Senior Technical Advisor.